The American Association of Poison Control Centers has issued a warning on hand sanitizers that contain methanol (methyl alcohol).
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has already warned that some hand sanitizers are contaminated with methanol.
Methanol is very toxic and can make you “blind drunk” because of its ability to damage the optic nerve, poison experts say.
Depending on the concentration of methanol and the amount swallowed, patients can experience nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain. Other symptoms can include headache, dizziness, drowsiness and slurred speech, the poison control center said in a news release.
These contaminated products have various concentrations of methanol, which means that some may be very toxic and cause coma, respiratory depression, seizures, blindness and death.
For questions, or if you have an adverse reaction to hand sanitizer containing methanol, contact your poison control center.
Here are some ways to be prepared and get confidential and expert help:
- Text POISON to 797979.
- Save the Poison Help Hotline number into your cellphone (1-800-222-1222).
- Display the Poison Help Hotline contact number in your home.
For more on methanol, head to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.