You guys. Listen up. Have you tried using coconut oil yet? You’ve probably heard a lot of your hippie friends discussing the wonders of this amazing oil, but maybe you haven’t made it to the store yet to pick up a jar. Perhaps you’re intimidated by what you could possibly do with this amazing ingredient, or you are being stubborn because its a fad and you don’t want to jump on the bandwagon.
Well too bad! I’m here to tell you all of the awesome ways you can use it, taking away any excuse you’ve had to leave it on the shelf.
1) Moisturizer – You read that right! Coconut oil is an awesome moisturizer for your body. I use it right when I get out of the shower as a body lotion, and I’ve even started using it on my face. It’s kind of amazing. Yes, it is oily, but you can use it sparingly to avoid turning into a greased up monster.
2) Olive Oil Replacement – For certain recipes, I use coconut oil instead of olive oil. For example, have you ever tried sweet potato fries cooked coconut oil? It’s kind of amazing. It’s also delicious in some of the squash soups I’ve been making lately.
3) Dessert – Oh yes my friend, there are a TON of dessert recipes that use coconut oil in them and they are delicious. One of my favorites: this chocolate fudge dish.
4) Lip Balm – In addition to using it as a body lotion, you can turn it into lip balm. Here is a tinted DIY recipe if you want to try it out.
5) Sun Burn Healing – I know this sounds crazy, but it really works. I’ve done it on more than one occasion, and it’s incredible. Not only does it soothe the burn, but it helps to prevent your skin from peeling.
Are you on the coconut oil train? What are some of your favorite uses for this wonder ingredient?