The last thing you want to do after surgery is develop an infection. So caring for a surgical wound is of prime importance.
The American Academy of Family Physicians offers these suggestions:
- Follow your doctor’s instructions
about when and how often you should change the surgical bandage, if there is one.
- Keep your incision dry and avoid showering for at least 24 hours. Consult your doctor, but after the first day, you should be able to wash the incision gently with soap and water.
- If surgical stitches must be removed, this may occur anywhere from three days to three weeks after surgery.
- As much as possible, limit movement near the stitches to help promote healing.
- Always wash your hands before caring for your incision.
Copyright © 2023 HealthDay. All rights reserved.