In light of the more than 250 mass shootings in the United States in 2019, the American Psychological Association encourages parents to help their kids feel safe.
The association offers this advice:
- Talk with your children about their worries and concerns.
- Keep home a safe and comfortable place.
- Watch for any signs of stress, fear or anxiety.
- Take breaks from watching or reading the news.
- Make sure adults don’t dwell on recent tragic events.
If you or your children feel overwhelmed, the APA encourages you to talk to mental health professional.