Your pet may be at risk for getting sick if you use raw pet food, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration says.
Pet owners also are at risk of getting sick if they handle food that may be contaminated, the agency adds.
If you must feed your pet raw food, the FDA suggests:
- Wash your hands with soap and water after handling raw food, or after handling objects that may have been in contact with the food.
- Disinfect all surfaces that come in contact with raw pet food.
- Freeze raw meat until you are ready to use it. Always thaw foods in your refrigerator or microwave, instead of thawing them on the counter or in the sink.
- Keep raw food separate from other food.
- Immediately refrigerate any food your pet doesn’t eat, or discard leftovers.
- Don’t kiss your pet around its mouth or allow your pet to lick your face.
Copyright © 2024 HealthDay. All rights reserved.