Lifting heavy things is a leading cause of workplace injury, says the University of North Carolina.
People who practice smart lifting techniques are less likely to suffer muscle sprains, pulls and injuries caused by heavy lifting.
To properly lift a heavy item, the school recommends:
- Prepare for the load. Think about if you are suited for the job.
- Get as close to the load as possible.
- Keep your back straight and bend at the knees.
- Get a good handhold, and do not twist while lifting.
- While carrying, move your feet to turn.
- To put the load down, bend at the knees.