Conversations about sensitive topics can significantly strain relationships, says the American Psychological Association. In fact, about 27 percent of adults agree that the current political climate has caused strain between themselves and family members.
To help manage political disagreements, the association encourages you to:
- Find areas where you agree with the other person.
- Be open and kind. Avoid polarizing language and personal attacks.
- Keep calm when tensions rise.
- Accept that you may not change the other person’s mind.
- Remember that disagreeing with someone you care about is okay.
- Know when to end the conversation.
Copyright © 2023 HealthDay. All rights reserved.