Our lungs have a natural defense system that protects them from dirt and germs. But that isn’t enough to prevent all cases of lung disease.
The American Lung Association says here’s what you can do to keep your lungs healthier:
- Don’t smoke. If you do, quit.
- Avoid air pollution. On smoggy days, stay inside.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water. An alcohol-based sanitizer may be used in a pinch.
- Practice good oral hygiene. Brush your teeth at least twice daily and see your dentist at least every six months.
- Get the annual flu shot, and ask you doctor about whether the pneumoniavaccine is right for you.
- If you get sick, stay home from work or school until you’re feeling better.
Copyright © 2022 HealthDay. All rights reserved.