A Cesarean section is major surgery, and it’s normal to be tired and have pain and discomfort after the procedure, the Mayo Clinic says.
Mayo offers this advice about recovery after a C-section:
- Rest as often as you can.
- Avoid lifting anything heavier than your newborn.
- Take pain medication as needed and use a heating pad to help ease discomfort.
- Inspect the incision for signs of infection, including redness, oozing or swelling.
- Expect some vaginal discharge as you shed the mucous membrane that lined your uterus during pregnancy. The discharge will be red for the first few days and then turn a yellowish white color.
- You are likely to feel some contractions as your uterus adjusts to its size before pregnancy.
- Breasts may be tender as they fill and engorge with milk.
- Many women will have hair loss after pregnancy.
Copyright © 2023 HealthDay. All rights reserved.