Some women react to the experience of pregnancy and childbirth with sadness, fear, anxiety and procrastination, the American Academy of Pediatrics says.
The academy mentions these risk factors for developing depression during and after pregnancy:
- Hormonal changes.
- Personal or family history of depression.
- Feeling a lack of support from family and friends.
- Problems with a previous pregnancy or birth.
- Personal or financial concerns.
- Stressful life experiences.
- Young pregnancy.
- Drug or alcohol abuse.
- Family violence.
- Chronic illness.
Copyright © 2023 HealthDay. All rights reserved.