Chapped lips often occur throughout winter, but there are things you can do to prevent them, the Mayo Clinic says.
Here are the clinic’s suggestions:
- Before you go outside in cold weather, apply a lubricating lip cream or balm. Then cover your lips with a scarf. Reapply the balm as needed.
- Do not lick your lips. Saliva evaporates quickly, leaving lips drier than before you licked them.
- Drink plenty of fluids, and moisten the indoor air with a humidifier.
- Avoid contact with irritants or allergens, such as fragrances or dyes, in cosmetics and skin care products.
- Breathe through your nose. Breathing through your mouth can cause your lips to dry out.
Copyright © 2023 HealthDay. All rights reserved.