We don’t do a whole lot of Valentine’s gifts here for my kids. Generally they get a card and something to munch on. Nine times out of ten, it is something that my husband and I make ourselves. This year, we are going with a pretty traditional sugar cookie. One we can roll, and shape into hearts. Then to frost them, we will use one of my kids all time favorite frosting’s, Jello frosting!
To make your cookies, you will need:
3 cups of flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup of softened butter
1 cup of sugar
1 beaten egg
1 tablespoon milk
Powdered sugar (you use this when rolling out the dough, the same way you would use flour!)
The Sugar Cookie
1. Sift the flour, salt, and baking powder together and set aside.
2. Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Slowly add your egg and milk. Beat until those two are combined.
3. With your mixer on low you will add your flour mixture, small batches at a time. I usually grab a half cup measuring cup and use that to pour it in. Make sure to allow that to combine before adding the next amount.
4. When the flour is all mixed in, it will magically be a dough! Yay!
5. Separate it into two chucks of dough, wrap in wax paper (plastic wrap is okay, too, but wax paper works better.) and refrigerate it for a minimum of two hours.
6. After your dough has chilled, pre heat your oven to 375 degrees. Remove one package of dough from the fridge. Sprinkle your surface, and rolling pin with some powdered sugar to make sure it doesn’t stick. Roll your dough to about a 1/4 much thickness. Use cookie cutters to cut your shapes.
7. Place on a baking sheet an inch a part, and bake for 7-9 minutes. I always let mine sit on the cookie sheet after they are done baking for a minute or two. It allows them to finish setting and makes the easy to remove. Allow them to cool on a wire rack, and then ice them!
The Jello Icing
Jello icing is one of my kids all time favorite things. I don’t know why. Perhaps it’s because it turns the frosting fun colors. Or maybe it is because you get such an awesome flavor from it. Whatever the case, it is perfect for a Valentine cookie.
This is so easy, you will need:
8 ounce package of room temperature cream cheese
3 ounce packet of jello (Jell-o brand is the only brand that comes in a 3oz package I believe.)
1 cup powdered sugar.
Here is what you do. Ready for how easy it is. Beat all ingredients. And done.
That is it, you beat them until they are well combined and fluffy. Then you spreads them onto your cookies and enjoy!
If the color of the frosting isn’t as bright as you hoped, you can add a few drops of food coloring.
This is a great recipe for each holiday, jello comes in so many colors and flavors. Lime for St. Paddy’s day. Lemon for spring, watermelon for summer. You get the idea!