My hairstylist recently told me that I should use a hair mask once a week. As someone with a fairy simple-wash and go-hair beauty routine, this caught me by surprise. Once a week seemed excessive. I wondered what I would do with all that extra time in the shower. Not to mention, many hair masks can be quite costly. But what about combining elements that aren’t too expensive and are also found in your kitchen? When I was younger, some people recommended mayo, but that just word induces a gag reflex in me. And then I thought of my favorite fatty fruit: avocado. Added a few more simple ingredients, and soon it was a mask.
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon of aloe juice
- In a bowl mash the ingredients together with a fork. You want a consistency that can be easily spread on your hair from root to tip.
- Depending on how damaged your strands, leave the mask on for 15-30 minutes.
- Rinse thoroughly and then shampoo as usual.
- The result is silky, smooth and beautiful hair. This is incredibly easy to do once a week. If you want to add an egg to the mixture (eggs contain contain lecithin, a natural hair conditioner) do so, but wash the mixture out in a cooler shower, as hot water could cook the egg. Not a good look, or smell.