I have been praying to the pizza Gods for a saucy, melty slice that wouldn’t leave me bloated or regretful. Halleluiah, my prayers have been answered! I found a pizza recipe that is filled with fiber-packed veggies, cheese, and a crisp crust without the dough or guilt!
I know this sounds impossible. The magic potion is the crust, made from cauliflower! I know what you’re thinking. A crust from cauliflower does not nearly sound as tempting as one made from gooey dough. Though the crust doesn’t taste like take-out pie it also doesn’t taste like cauliflower. The base of these mini pizzas just tastes delicious.
1 large head cauliflower
2 large eggs
3 cups shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 cup pizza sauce
12 fresh basil leaves
1 tomato, sliced into 12 rounds
1/4 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
Sliced black olives
- Shred cauliflower with a food processor or box grater. Measure out 4 cups and store the rest in the refrigerator for later.
- Cook cauliflower in the microwave for 8 minutes and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Stir in eggs, mozzarella, oregano, basil, and garlic powder.
- Coat baking sheets with cooking spray and divide the cauliflower mixture into twelve balls. Place on baking sheet and pat each into a thin round about 4 inches wide. Bake for 15 minutes until golden brown. If the edges are charred, great! This adds a fantastic crunch.
- Take crusts out of the oven. Top with pizza sauce, the rest of the mozzarella cheese, tomato slice, mushrooms, olives, parmesan, and a basil leaf.
- Bake for about 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and sauce is warm.
- Let sit for a few minutes and enjoy!