As lovers of baked goods and all things chocolate, finding ways to cut calories is extremely important. While going as far as completely cutting out sweets, carbs, and eating totally raw/vegan/gluten free is just not an option for us, making smarter choices definitely is!
Cooking should be fun, and there is a good challenge in finding healthy substitutions for some of the less healthy ingredients that are a part of some of our favorite recipes.
We want to make it easier for you, so here is a list of some this vs that ingredients to use when cooking or baking your next delicious dish!
- Instead of eggs, use apple sauce and baking soda. One egg = 1/4 cup apple sauce and 1/2 tsp of baking soda.
- Try using Greek yogurt in place of oil. One cup of oil = 3/4 cup Greek yogurt. You can also use it as a sub in for sour cream, mayo, and cream cheese, all at an equal ratio.
- Making egg or chicken salad? Use avocado instead of mayo! It’s a delicious alternative, without losing the creamy texture that defines the dish.
- If you’re making a savory dish, cut the salt by using a heavier hand with herbs and spices. You’d be surprised how a combo of paprika, pepper and garlic powder will satiate that salty craving without adding the extra sodium (and bloat) in your diet for the day.
- Make sweet potatoes as a side instead of regular potatoes. You will cut your carbs, and add in healthy vitamins to boost your immune system. Can’t go wrong with that.
These are just a few easy ways to cut calories in your baking and cooking without sacrificing taste or texture. It’s not about completely denying yourself your favorite dish, but making better choices when preparing them.
What are some ways you cut calories to make healthier meals?