As part of our New Year’s resolution, we’ve decided that eating as healthy as we can and adding in a lot more exercise than we were doing before is going to be one of our goals for 2015 (unoriginal but necessary, so sue us). This is actually easier to accomplish than one may think, especially when you are enjoying pizza 3 days a week and exercising none of those days. You can only go up from there, right?
Anyway, one of the things we’re going to incorporate into our diets to make that happen is a daily protein shake. It can be used as breakfast or as a quick meal 30-45 minutes before a work out. No matter what time of day, a protein shake is a great way to add an extra kick to nutrition and exercise plans.
Most of the ones we’ve tried so far include spinach, peanut butter and some fruit, but we’ve started to look elsewhere for some inspiration to vary the recipes we’re planning on using. Here are some of the ones we plan to add into the mix.
1) Lauren Conrad’s Green Smoothie – We love Lauren Conrad. There is no shame in our game, and we flat out admit that we think she’s awesome. Also awesome? Her delicious green smoothie recipe. This seems like a little piece of tropical-drink heaven.
2) Berry Ginger Chia Smoothie – This is a basic fruit smoothie but with the added health benefits of ginger and chia seeds (a great source of protein!)
3) Peanut Butter and Jelly Smoothie – The combo of peanut butter and banana is always good. And we love the clever idea of adding jelly, although we may just add frozen strawberries instead.
4) Strawberry Apple Smoothie – This one also has pears in it, which we’re definitely going to be loving once fall season comes around.
5) Healthy Coffee Banana Smoothie Recipe – For those of us who can’t imagine giving up our morning/afternoon/whenever-we-need-it caffeine kick just because we’re trying to be healthy. Let’s be real.
You can add protein powder to any of these recipes, or stick to the protein that comes from the addition of Greek yogurt. Either way, these will make your tummy very, very happy!