Many minor injuries can be treated at home by following a few guidelines, says the University of California.
But for animal bites, deep cuts or wounds that bleed excessively, you should always see a doctor.
The school mentions these do’s and don’ts of home care for minor wounds:
- Do irrigate the wound with water, gently wash and pat dry.
- Do apply petroleum jelly to exposed wounds, then cover with a bandage.
- Do cleanse the wound daily with soap and water.
- Don’t forget to apply sunscreen after the wound has healed to control scarring.
- Don’t apply a topical antibiotic.
- Don’t douse minor wounds with antiseptics.
Copyright © 2023 HealthDay. All rights reserved.