Hiking in the chilly weather can be a fun way to stay active. But before you head out on the trail, it’s important to prepare for unexpected conditions.
For safe winter hiking, the North Country Trail Association has this advice:
- Never go out alone. Always make sure someone knows where you are going.
- Beware of reduced visibility. Bring lights, a map and other safety items.
- Don’t forget food, water and a first aid kit.
- Always wear proper footwear, and dress in layers.
- Beware of hypothermia. Keep extra dry, warm clothes in your backpack.