Falling off a ladder can lead to a serious, permanent injury. But in most cases, it’s preventable.
The American Ladder Institute suggests:
- Avoiding a ladder if you’re dizzy, tired or have poor balance.
- Avoiding a ladder whenever it’s windy or stormy.
- Wearing shoes that are clean and resist slipping.
- Inspecting the ladder before use, avoiding one that sways, is rickety or has any loose or missing pieces.
- Making sure the ladder’s size and weight capacity suits the job. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Setting up the ladder only on firm, level ground that isn’t slippery.
- Never place a ladder in front of a door that may be opened.
- Not allowing use of the ladder by more than one person at a time.