Even if you’re sick with a cold or the flu, don’t neglect your teeth, the American Dental Association reminds us.
The group offers these suggestions:
- Don’t ever share your toothbrush, especially if you’ve been sick.
- It’s usually not necessary to get a new toothbrush after you’ve been sick, unless you have a weak immune system or it’s time to toss your brush anyway.
- If you’re using cough drops, opt for sugar free.
- If you vomit, don’t brush your teeth immediately afterward. Instead, swish with water or diluted mouthwash.
- Drink plenty of water to avoid dry mouth, which could harm teeth.