Getting all of the dietary nutrients your body needs is critically important, especially if your diet is vegan or vegetarian.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics recommends:
- Get plenty of calcium through dairy products, plant-based milks fortified with calcium (such as almond or soy), almonds, almond butter, leafy green vegetables, broccoli, beans and fortified foods.
- Get enough iron through beans, soybeans, eggs, fortified cereals and dark leafy greens. Eat vitamin C-rich foods with these to boost absorption.
- Eat sufficient proteins through eggs, dairy products, soy products, nuts, nut butters, legumes and whole grains.
- Get enough vitamin B12 through eggs and dairy products. If you’re vegan, take a supplement or eat iron-fortified foods.
- Get enough vitamin D through dairy products, eggs and cereals, juice and soy milk fortified with vitamin D. Talk to your doctor about a supplement if you do not get enough exposure to sunlight and do not eat dairy.