Want to make playtime safer for your children? Look no further than your own backyard.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention offers these suggestions:
- Keep outdoor stairways clear, and install handrails on both sides. All walkways, porches and stairs should be well lit.
- Always watch children playing in the backyard.
- Keep your yard free of tall grass, litter and brush to discourage animal nests.
- If you have a septic tank, keep it well maintained to protect your family from illness.
- If your household drinking water source is a well, test it often.