Before flood waters threaten your home and family, take precautions to help keep them both safer.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention suggests:
- In advance, gather emergency supplies.
- Tune to a local TV or radio station to stay informed.
- Keep all immunization records (especially most recent tetanus shot) in a waterproof container.
- Sanitize sinks and bathtubs, then fill each to ensure a clean water supply. You can also fill gallon jugs and plastic bottles.
- Make sure all outdoor furniture is properly secured or brought inside.
- If you must evacuate your home, first shut off the main power switch and the main gas valve.