An ingrown toenail occurs when the nail grows into the skin, causing pain and sometimes an infection.
To avoid the problem, the American Podiatric Medical Association suggests:
- Trimming toenails straight across.
- Avoiding tight shoes that squeeze the toes.
- Protecting feet from injury.
- Using nail clippers to trim the nails, and using a nail file to gently smooth sharp edges. Never rip a nail with your fingers.
- Keeping nails trimmed to the tips of the toes.
Copyright © 2023 HealthDay. All rights reserved.