Fish is a healthy addition to your menu, but it’s important to keep it fresh.
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration advises:
- Shopping for fish displayed on a thick pack of fresh ice in a case.
- Making sure there is no fishy, sour or ammonia-like odor. Fish should always smell mild and fresh.
- Looking at the fish’s eyes to make sure they are clear and bulging, that gills are bright red (without slime) and that the flesh is shiny, firm and bounces back when you press it.
- Avoiding fish with signs of darkening or dryness at the edges.
- Choosing shrimp and other seafood that shines and has no odor.