On the run? You need to remember some safety tips before you hit the trail.
The Road Runners Club of America advises:
- Skip the headphones so you can hear what is going on around you.
- Carry a cell phone and some form of identification that includes your address, phone number, blood type and important medical information.
- Run against the flow of traffic to better see oncoming vehicles.
- When crossing streets, get acknowledgement from a driver that he or she sees you.
- Always obey traffic signals.
- Vary your running location, but stick to familiar routes.
- Tell someone before you leave where you will be running and when you expect to return.
- Run with a friend or a pet. Avoid isolated areas, including overgrown trails and deserted streets.
- Wear reflective material if you’re running when it is dark or near-dark.