Cook time: 20-25 minutes
8 Roma Tomatoes
4 Regular Tomatoes
½ of Large Yellow Onion
1 tablespoon fresh garlic
2 tablespoons margarine or olive oil
2 teaspoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons Splenda
2 heaping teaspoons of Williams-Sonoma Pizza seasoning (optional) – In stores or online
¾ teaspoon to start Truffle Salt (If you don’t have or like, use sea-salt)
¾ teaspoon to start Pepper
¾ teaspoon Oregano
48 oz. Swanson’s Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- Wash and core tomatoes. The easiest way to core a tomato (get rid of seeds inside) is to cut it in half. Then stick a fork into the middle of it and twist in a circle. The flesh will get pulpy, exposing the seeds and it is extremely easy to get them out. Chop roughly and set aside. Do the same with carrots and onion. Chop carrot and onion in equal pieces so they cook uniformly.
- Heat up a stock pot. Add margarine or olive oil. Add garlic and mix lightly. Allow garlic to cook for about 15 seconds before adding the onions, and then add onions.
- While sautéing the onions, add your seasonings. Pizza seasoning, salt, pepper and oregano, mix over onions well. You will have an opportunity to re-season to taste after soup is almost finished. When mixed completely, add carrots. Mix well again.
- Add tomatoes, again mixing well.
- Add chicken broth until it just covers the vegetables. You will have some left over.
- Add tomato paste, balsamic vinegar and Splenda.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, blend soup until it’s a consistency you like.
- Taste and re-season if needed. If you add more seasoning, put soup back on stove and bring back to a boil.
Serves 4-6, depending on portion size