Mornings before school are always crazy around here. Between getting everyone dressed, hair combed, and shoes on, we barely have time to think about breakfast. Knowing how important breakfast is, especially for my young kids who are heading off to school for the day, I know I have to make sure breakfast is good. And let’s face it. Cereal just doesn’t always cut it. Okay, it rarely cuts it.
Before my kids head out the door I want to feed them something that gets their wheels turning. You know, a breakfast that sticks to their bones, so to speak. So when I heard you could make French toast in the slow cooker, let it go all night and have it just be ready in the morning I just about did a back flip.
I tried several different recipes before settling on one that I tweaked and made into my own. And because I love you, I’m going to share it with you. For me, French toast has to be light, fluffy, custard-y, cinnamon-y, and absolutely not soggy. Those were my requirements.
My slow cooker is six quarts. You don’t want to over -fill yours, so if it is smaller try halving the recipe if needed.
1 loaf of bread. I used half a cinnamon raisin loaf, and half a regular loaf. It’s what I had on hand.
2 cups milk
1 tablespoon cinnamon (or more if you love it like me!)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
5 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1. Butter the sides and bottom of your slow cooker. You could use cooking spray if you are worried about calories, but seriously, you’re going to be eating French toast. Does it really matter?
2. Mix all of your ingredients except for the bread together in a large bowl. When everything is good and combined dip each piece of bread in the egg mixture and place it into your slow cooker. You can break the pieces of bread to make them fit better if you want. Square bread in a round slow cooker can create issues.
3. When you have finished with all of the bread pour the remaining egg mixture over the top. Cover and turn the slow cooker to low.
4. Wait for about 7 hours. Smell the goodness while you sleep. I am fairly sure it will assist in making sure everyone has great dreams.
5. Fifteen minutes before serving remove the lid.
6. Serve with a sprinkle of powdered sugar or warm syrup.