Summertime means you’ll be wearing lots of miniskirts, crop tops and flirty rompers — even if you decide to go with a maxidress, it’s more likely than not that it’ll be sleeveless. With your body on display, you ought to make sure that you’re as tight as you can be within a month or two. To get to your goal quicker, remember that a lot of your physical appearance is derived from your intake. You’ll have to get rid of the soda (yes, even diet) and replace that with plenty of water and “green” juice. Skip the processed snacks and have more fruit if you’re in the mood to munch on something sweet. Go vegetarian for a few days each week. Cut back on wine and cocktails. Those tips combined with the toning exercises we’ve compiled below should have that body tight and right in no time!
Targets shoulders, triceps, abs, and obliques
- Sit on floor with knees slightly bent, heels on floor and hands by hips, fingers facing forward.
- Make it harder: Sit on edge of a chair with palms on seat beside hips and scoot butt forward off seat.
- Bend elbows 90 degrees behind you, or as far as you can go without resting on floor.
- Straighten arms while lifting right knee toward chest. Lower heel to floor and repeat dip-and-crunch combination.
- Do 12 reps, alternating sides.
Repetitions: 5 on each side
- Assume the standard pushup position with your hands slightly wider than and in line with your shoulders. As you lower your body toward the floor, lift your right foot, swing your right leg out sideways, and try to touch your knee to your elbow.
- Reverse the movement, then push your body back to the starting position. Repeat on the other leg. Continue alternating until you’ve completed 5 reps on each side.
Shape has other great no-equipment exercises you can do to get ready for summer from the comfort of your own home, like the Single-Leg Squat. Check ’em out!
Targets abs, obliques, butt, and hamstrings
- Lie faceup on floor, knees bent with heels on floor and arms at sides. Extend left leg toward ceiling, foot flexed.
- Make it easier: Keep both feet on floor.
- Lift hips, squeezing glutes. Hold for 1 count, then lower.
- Keeping left leg raised throughout, crunch up, reaching hands toward left foot. Return to start
- Do 12 reps. Switch sides and repeat.
Check out the the rest of the Slim Down workout from Fitness for other butt-busting and tummy-toning exercises.
- Start on all fours with your hands directly below your shoulders and knees under your hips.
- Bring your right knee into your chest, tuck your stomach in, and pull your belly button toward the ceiling.
- Next, kick your leg straight back with your foot flexed and the bottom of your foot aimed toward the ceiling.
- Fully extend your leg and pulse it by raising and lowering your foot about 6 inches three times. Return your knee to your chest.
- Repeat this 15 times and keep your knee off the ground until you’ve finished.
- Switch legs and do two sets of these.
Targets back, shoulders, chest, abs, butt, and legs
- Lie down on your back, keeping your legs straight with your arms bent behind your head.
- Do a sit-up, but instead of lowering back down to the ground, jump to a standing position.
- Next comes the burpee. Jump down into a pushup position, complete one push-up, jump up to a squat, and jump straight up toward the ceiling.
- Do one to three sets of 10 reps.
We know getting in the fitness groove can be daunting, but think strong thoughts! You can do it, girl!